Joint Health and Safety Committee – Basic Part 1
General information on course
The trend toward creating safer working environments for all workers is not a new trend. In 1983, the British Parliament passed into law the first recorded piece of legislation that was designed to protect the health and safety of workers. All employers operating in the Province of Ontario must comply with the regulations as they are prescribed under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and form a Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC). This workshop has been developed to help participants understand their role as a Certified Member of their JHSC.
Three Full Days (19.5 hours)
Who Should Attend:
Any organization operating in Ontario with 20 or more employees must form a JHSC to oversee the development, implementation and monitoring of their health and safety programs. At least one member representing workers and one member representing management on the committee must receive special training and be designated “Certified Members” of the organization’s JHSC.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
Upon the successful completion of this safety training program, participants will have acquired a general understanding of workplace safety and a working knowledge of:
- The legislative requirements (Government Regulations, CSA Standards and Manufacturers’ Guidelines and Principles);
- The duties and responsibilities of all workplace stakeholders;
- The duties and responsibilities of a Joint Health and Safety Committee;
- What constitutes an effective Joint Health and Safety Committee.
AFTER THIS WORKSHOP YOU WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Understand your role as a Certified Member of a JHSC and how to make formal recommendations;
- Understand the role the Ministry of Labour plays in enforcing the Act;
- Conduct a workplace hazard assessment and recommend a control measure;
- Conduct workplace inspections and audits;
- Conduct an Accident Investigation in the proper manner and make recommendations.
By means of group discussion, case studies and one-on-one instruction, participants will gain the ability to apply what they learn in this course.
To find out more about Advanced Consulting and Training Ltd. and what we can do for you and your organization visit www.advancedct.com